Monday, May 16, 2011

Coughs. Binks. Tantrums. More Coughs.

Poor Mr. Caden has had a rocky couple of weeks!  He started coughing 2 weeks ago, which followed by a week of getting up crying/coughing for 2-3 hours a night.  Then he started wheezing in the night.  Lots.  It kinda freaked me, but I was too tired to realized I was freaked, haha.  Then I thought it was better, and while he hasn't been crying for me/totally waking up in the night, his cough has gotten worse and worse. 

He had his 18 month checkup on Friday.  At which, by the way, he was 25 lbs 10 oz (45th percentile), 33 1/2 inches (80th percentile), and 90th percentile head as always :).  The doctor said his ears and everything looked good.  He hasn't had a fever at all with all this coughing.  He hasn't eaten much at all lately, and has just been "out of sorts."  His throat was a little red because of drainage.  The verdict??  The kiddo has allergies, bad, it seems.  Poor guy!  He can thank both Jared and I for that.  He started on Baby Claritin on Friday, and since that didn't seem to help, the doctor went ahead and is starting him on amoxocillin today.

He said what happens often, is their allergies flair up bad and they end up getting something else along with the allergies, because their sinuses and everything are so bad.  So, the amoxocillin should kick that part of it, and keeping him on the claritin will hopefully keep them from getting too terribly bad again. 

I just hate it......he's been such a good  sport about it, but it's several hours in the night that he is squirming around and coughing, so I know he's not sleeping well. 

The tantrums, etc, seem to be the "18 month old boy" thing.  Sounds like it's the age, so just run with it :).  Haha.  I can accept that.  Doesn't mean he'll get away with any more, just means I won't feel like something must be wrong every time they happen!

Binks......we are officially on a quest to kill the bink.  Or at least some of the bink.  Without realizing it, especially the last few weeks when he's been a little under the weather, CW has officially became raging addicted!!  Wants it all the time.  So, the new rule?  Bed and car rides only.  There's a little box in his room that the binks go in when he wants to get out of his crib.  If he doesn't want to give the binks up??  He stays in bed.  And, this morning, he chose to be in bed a couple different times for a bink.  I used the time to get some laundry put away, haha.  And he got bored pretty fast.  So far, it's working.  Eventually I will cut the car ride out too, but for now he gets one in there still.  It works and we aren't in the car much, so whatev.  We won't talk about the dreadful day they can't be in bedtime either, haha.

That sums that up.  Hope you are all doing well.  We are so thrilled it is sunny today!  We went on a walk and to the park this morning.  Now CW is crashed for a (cough-filled) nap.  Poor guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment