Sometimes, ya just gotta roll with it.......
Like when your son takes a purple color to the wall sometime today when you weren't watching.
Or when his new 24 mos PJ's you think will be huge on him fit him already.
Or you had made plans for the a.m. and he is taking a morning nap for the first time in forever.
Or when he has decided 4:30 is a nice wakeup time for 10 of the last 14 days (if I were counting....).
Or he puts his toy in his (really) dirty diaper as you are changing him.
Or he chokes on a piece of apple and you have to stick your middle finger down his throat and scoop it out.
Or he pees on the floor as you fish his poo out of the tub (oh ya, blogged about that already :)).
Or if you're being really honest with yourself, he probably only ate 2 bites of supper and a whole cookie.
Or his face is dirty from eating but he's crabby & you put him to bed without cleaning it off well.
Or he pulls everything out of your bathroom cupboards while you are getting ready.
Or he wants to feed himself yogurt & puts a spoonful in his eye.
You sort of choose to ignore him while he plays on the kitchen floor and you start making dinner.....assuming he's still playing with the book you gave him.......and after only a minute, you look down to this scene:
Yep....pulling all of my Christmas ziplocks
(which I save for cookies at Christmas) out
of the drawer and out of the box. And he
was so excited about it and concentrating
so hard. And my camera was there on the
counter, so I snapped a few pics. Shame
on me :). I had him help me put them back
in the box and back in the drawer before
supper. He thought that was fun, too. Ha.
It's crazy to me how much more relaxed I am with this child than I thought I would ever be! Things that I thought would get me all uptight, and very well may have with someone else's child, I can roll with much easier now that I'm a Mama Bee. Don't get me wrong, I don't let him tear the place apart and get away with everything. It is my strong hope and desire NOT to raise a tornadic monster, but at the same time I've quickly learned to choose my battles.
Now, when he climbs on the speaker, gets on the entertainment stand, and opens the stereo to pull CD's after being told not to.....ya, not so laid back about that. That'd be called 'worthy of diciplinary action' in this house :). Or, when I tell him not to take dog food out of the bowl and eat it, and he proceeds to go back to the dog food and throw some at the wall.....yep, you guessed it. Doesn't fly so well 'round here. But, if he is insistent on being Mr. Independent and feeding himself his yogurt, even though it wasn't supposed to be bath night, most the time I figure what can it hurt if he gets a little yogurt in his hair?? Or, if I'm trying to get ready in the morning and "ignoring" that he's pulling my baskets out of the cupboards and emptying them, having a blast & letting me get ready all the while, what does it hurt? So I have to spend 2 minutes putting it away later. He wasn't doing anything I had told him NOT to do, he had a blast, and I got my makeup on-(ish), and my hair looks a little better than it did when I got up.
So, pretty much, I'm much more chillaxed as a mom than I ever imagined. I hope I'm not too chillaxed. I guess time will tell :). Or those around me will :). Side note......any tips for getting him to eat veggies?? I've tried lot's and am getting nowhere....ugh.
I heart you and Caden (and Meyer) and LOVE seeing you as a Mommy. You're pretty awesome at it, too. :)
ReplyDeleteOh Emmy :-) you are such a patient mommy. Listen, if you find a way to get kids to eat veggies let me know, my kids are 25 and 20 and they still won't eat their vegetables. LOL
ReplyDeleteLove you, Lizzie